Friday 25 June 2010

Proposal of Ideas

Initially i intended to create a film trailer around the theme of British neo-realist cinema because i knew it was one of which i would like to discover and explore deeper into, this is due to my taste as some of my favorite films lie within that genre like Mike Leigh's, Ken Loaches and Alan Clark's films. To begin I'm fond of independent british films because of there strong independence of ambition and evident cultural identity.

'Social Realist Cinema' was something i was interested in because of their strong ideological and political view, depth of characterization (perfectly phased character development) and the attention to hold such an original and ambitious concept. I wanted the film to mainly have good character development, like the character of Brain I want him to appear as if he had psychological issues so I kept with the recurring theme of him taking tablets so audience would question his stability of heath. I know that filming could be relatively confusing because the actors could accidentally call each other by the real name opposed to the character names that they should be calling each other. I’m thinking now to solve this pre-determined dilemma I should call the characters similar to their real names, i.e.

Ryan Burt- Brian Hurt

Tom Pugh- Don ‘Lou’ Carter

My main focus is creating a plot that is so fundamental and ambitious that the trailer just leaped off the screen. Like a lot of trailers I want it to be non-linear so it creates an enigma and audience have to use their imagination to piece the scenes together and form an interpretation of what the film is about. If I just make a trailer that describes the film in the fashion of saying a film about two characters who find a case full of money and a gun then start deceiving each other and the narrative carries the themes of betrayal, greed and paranoia its just telling the audience what the film is, its almost patronising. So my intention is to create mystery and leaves it down to interpretation because interpretation is personal and gives a sense of achievement and identity to the trailer from an audiences perspective.

My film is about the representation and deals with the themes of greed, jealousy and paranoia. I want to make a film that shows the basic exploitation of wealth, but in the most fundamentalist of terms but can be considered in a macro interpretation. The basic narrative is two school boys find a deceased body in a hall way of where they're delivering papers. They enter the house and its turns out to be an altered serendipity because they find a case full of money and a gun, they then decide to keep the money at Brain Hurt's house and as it progress they become distrust worthy of eachother and a fatal future lies for them both.
To begin with I always imagined the opening shot of a gun zooming out, the camera was placed as the perspecive of the gun and it was being burried by an anonymous character. My intention for the actual film was to begin and end with the opening shot of the gun to establish the eternal cycle of the films morals, including the ideological monolgue which is 'When you position a item in the focus of your life that doesn’t require the strength to nurture, in time it will destroy everything you’re and corrupt you. Something as significant as a ideology or your perception on life. The basis of your humanity is vital and no one can be the foundation of it, it holds inside, in the focus. '
Before writing the film I did a series of research and advice into writing...
I agree with Quentin Tarantino's theory of taking cliched scenarios and creating a different and indivdualistic appraoch to them.

No comments: