Friday 25 June 2010

Skills Development




This video above is my media studies editing development, it was a media studies promotion advert that each student in the class had to edit. This was one of a few of my first documentary editing projects. It allowed me further time on Final Cut, it let me develop skills further on Garageband also as i created the sound track without comparison to the footage i just had to note down when i timed opposed to having the footage in garageband and editing to music to the visuals. I approached jump funky base to be timed with the jump cuts the create the feel and flow of continuity. Also including singular shots of items that are timed with what each things the media teachers are saying. By creating this video it demonstrated my capability with both programs Garageband and Final Cut but also how documentary footage allows you to be creative when opposed to a clear scripted narrative like a concept film.


This video called 'The Part' was part of my skill development corse for AS media studies, i filmed it during a trip to Teeside University trip with my class. We were give a camera during the morning that creative capability to go a shoot our own short film, so me and my friend Tom Pugh took into the streets of Middlesbrough and filmed this product. The narrative a basic idea of the protagonist finding a mobile phone i began with a Scorsese influenced three industrial shots, then i straight cut to the protagonist walking. This was extremely helpful because it allowed my to adjust to roving focus which was a particular favorite development. Another was being able to use a boom mike, which give the film a professional sound. I took this to advantage and recorded a working drill hammer of construction workers near by and included it on a connotation level to reinforce the danger when the protagonist discovers the phone. Also placing a boom in tight industrial places like a phone-booth and also surprisingly inside a production studio that allowed my to be extremely creative. I acted in this also so i allowed my friend to develop his camera skills and let the film have more character depth. This was an extremely helpful day as it allowed me to be introduced into Final Cut here i played with match cuts and the overlaying of sound. Not only introducing me into University life it showed me the professionalism of film making and the creative ambition it holds for me.







A young 13 year old teen gets kidnapped by Thomas Hewitt aka leatherface and gets tourtured a pice filmed in 2006.Staring Ryan Burt and Sean Usher. From this film I really developed my editing skills, when I was thirteen years old I was a huge fan of director Tobe Hooper and his work like ‘The Texas Chain Saw of Massacre’ and it was basically my first attempt at filming a short film. I comprehended that montage works to huge effect, so I edited a disturbing and fast paced opening monologue to grab the audience’s attention. Then when the film actually starts I learn the most curtail lesson when filming, framing and shot duration. My intention was to film it fast and leave the audience shocked, but when in editing I decided to create the impression of an old exploitation horror film. I wanted to make the audiences hang with the protagonist and watch him hang in a uncomforting pain, so they’re disgusted at the antagonist. This was a horror so i learned to have confidence to leave the audience with a sense of disbelief.

A gripping story/music video of a teenager fixated by horror films. He then proceeds to an act of premeditated murder. Filmed during 24th of September 2007. Staring Ryan Burt, Scott Carter, Tom Pugh, John Newton and Reece Richardson. Written, directed and edited by Sean Usher

From this film i gained knowledge of how much effect using a non linear narrative has on an audience becuase it makes them use their minds and engage more in the story, as the anonymousness of the narrative creates engima. This was another film where i got to personal and polotically represent a issue or culture. This was about knife crime and how films when misrepresented can warp misunderstanding people and can phsycologically distort and disturb them. I learned the most basic and orginal imagery and ideas work to must sucessful effect. Additionally i found that communication skills come to a abundant advantage when filming, (especially with large groups) I found it hard try to keep the cast and crews moral and sprit up, occasionally humour is the most optimistic technique. When listening to the song ‘If You Were There Beware’ by ‘Arctic Monkeys’ I got the imagery of a circus, that is where the clown came from and I thought it could be a good idea to use to imagery of a clown when breaking the 4th dimension to get the audience more evolved with the horror, therefore they question this characters state of mind. I learnt that contrast is the greatest technique when dealing with an audience, making them feel a number of opposing emotions at once, to make them feel as if they’re being played with. As a director I used contrasting credits to lighten the mood, show characters alive and well and comical out takes.

RESPONSE VIDEO TO MAKING THE INTERTWINNING REFLECTION...


THE UNFINISHED INTERTWINNING...













No comments: